ALTA ORSA Chardonnay- Alexander Valley, Sonoma
- The winemaker's pedigree for one, having worked under Paul Hobbs and Chapoutier of the Rhone and Vinos Cobos of Mendoza
- Elegant and balanced single vineyard wine
- Farmed using organic and regenerative agricultural practices
- Made to highlight the character of the grape from a cooler climate - this is not buttery Chard, but balanced - crisp to start, creamy to finish
WINEMAKER: Martin Bernal-Hafner: Chapoutier, Vinos Cobos, Paul Hobbs
WHAT WE TASTED:
We like to let this sit for about 15 minutes after taking out of the fridge. Briny, mineral aromas with hints of citrus and candied orange peel. The palate has a wonderful mouthfeel but not heavy and is balanced by a crisp acidity along with a zesty lemon and crème brûlée finish. Creamy and smooth with minerality from the Cortina gravelly loam soils.
WHAT WE PAIRED:
- Oysters every which way
- Waldorf salad: chicken, apples, pecans
- Soft and creamy cheese tray: Brie, Camambert, fresh Mozzarella
PERSONALITY: Martin spent time in Northern Rhone learning to make cool climate wines and it shows. Martin embodies wildcrafting wines using organic farming methods and letting nature always take its course. Sustainably farmed, patiently crafted, and humanly connected wines are the trademark of Alta Orsa. The Hafner Vineyard Chardonnay reflects this philosophy with a sense of terroir and a character indicative of a handcrafted approach.
- 100% Chardonnay
- Alcohol 13.6%
- Only 75 cases made