MAGNUS The Profane Shiraz, Carneros, Sonoma Valley
WHY WE LOVE IT:
- Las Madres Vineyard in Carneros is called the "To Kalon of Syrah vineyards" by Thomas Rivers Brown
- Mouth filling denseness, but not jammy, and beautifully spiced
- Double Gold American Fine Wine Competition
WINEMAKER: Jacqueline Yoakum. Consulting winemaker Astorie, Greggarious. Alumni of Littorai, Schramsberg, Keller, Stags Leap Wine Cellars.
WHAT WE TASTED: Immediate deep aromas, dense mouth feel, spices and red peppercorns firing off in your mouth. But, co-fermented hint of Viognier is there with apricot and floral notes, subtle, as it should be. While the Syrah's heritage is cool climate Northern Rhone Hermitage, this New World style is more fruit forward. This is not meaty or gamey, rather its the land of the living! Light oak adds complexity
AVA DESIGNATED: Sonoma Valley
WHAT WE PAIRED:
- Venison stew with au gratin potatoea
- Pulled pork sandwiches with red cabbage spicy slaw
- Spiced Toffee Nut Cake with sprinkled ginger on top
- Cedar plank grilled salmon with brown sugar and paprika glaze
- Cheese plate or Morbier, Pecorino, Idiazabal
PERSONALITY: Magnus Wines are based in history; under new world terroir. Magnus is a new brand that is the embodiment of an “alter ego.” Where we see dragons, the little girl inside in cape and mask is making it all happen. Try it. You’ll discover powerful dragons. And the pleasures of a vineyard's complexity revealing the magic of wildcrafted wines.
- Only 140 cases made
- 14.6% Alcohol
- 65% New American Oak (MN/PA fine grain)
*Ground shipping in states where allowed. Temperature control shipping in effect May 1 through Sept 15 to protect these fine wines. A small fee will be added to each shipment. You may choose 2 day or overnight air also*. Our summer solutions overnight shipping rate is the best deal!