ONDULÉ Esmé Red Blend, Napa Valley
SOLD OUT. SO SORRY. MAy WE SUGGEST LUSCHER BALLARD, MADE BY AARON POTT?
WHY WE LOVE IT:
- Corrutage - we had to look that one up - and delighted we were with the wines undulating shape and folds. More below about the name.
- Soft tannins make it delicious now, but will be even better with age
- 2014 produced high quality fruit with depth of flavor
WINEMAKER: Jason Holman: Holman Cellars, Uncharted, Favia, Ovid
WHAT WE TASTED: This is a big red! Black currant, blackberry and dark chocolate intermix with intoxicating sweet tobacco aromas. Opening dark plum notes develop into a mild leathery finish. The presence of the Alicante Bouschet imparts a beautiful dark amethyst hue.
AVA DESIGNATED: Coombsville, Napa Valley
WHAT WE PAIRED:
- Roast lamb, braised short ribs
- Beef brisket
- Hard cheese platter, grilled veggies
Lawyer turned winemaker Jason apprenticed with the legendary John Kongsgard and worked under Aaron Pott. Just wowza! The passion project of a 4th generation California family, Ondulé combines old-world style with new-world organic grapes to produce timeless and approachable wines. The 4th gen family has made corrugated boxes for the wine industry for many years thus a fitting fanciful name for their namesake. Enjoy.
- 47% Cabernet Sauvignon, 20% Merlot, 12% Cab Franc, 11% Malbec, 10% Alicante Bouschet
- 225 Cases produced
- 14.5% Alcohol