Astorie Pinot Noir, Oregon
WHY WE LOVE IT:
- 2014 Inaugural Release, vineyard designated wine—Exclusive to Wildcrafted Wines - only 40 cases made
- Le Cadeau Vineyard in Dundee, Oregon is called the "rockiest" vineyard in Oregon, hand picked, of course
- A cool climate, native yeast, wildcrafted beauty made by a Robert Parker rated winemaker
- BRONZE medal winner - San Francisco Chronicle Wine Competition
WINEMAKER: Jacqueline Yoakum. Consulting winemaker Magnus, Greggarious. Alumni of Littorai, Schramsberg, Keller, Stags Leap Wine Cellars, and Le Cadeau.
WHAT WE TASTED: Tawny Oregon cranberry color with heirloom french plum tart, lavender and chocolate mint nose and a lingering sweet pea floral note. On the palate, a nice bit of herbal, cinnamon and kirsch, while crème brulee emerges. Oak is subtle and integrated in this elegant and supple wine. Drink now or hold and age for the next 7 years.
AVA DESIGNATED: Oregon
WHAT WE PAIRED:
- Grilled salmon spiced with ginger and soy
- Herb roasted pork tenderloin
- Pasta and pesto with dried tomatoes
PERSONALITY: Jacqueline's specialty is wild-crafting wines using native yeasts and this wine is a testament to place. Domaine Drouhin and Domaine Serene's vineyards are very close by. Jacqueline made Le Cadeau's 2011 Rocheaux Cuvee,which achieved 93 points from Robert Parker. Astorie is 'a story' of two women in partnership, two wine areas, two countries and allowing differences to inspire and create. Ask us about them!
- 14.6% Alc, whole berry, native fermentation two weeks on skins
- barrel aged 18 months, once used white oak for slight oak influence; bottle aged 1 year to broaden mid-palate
- Pommard Clone 667 is backbone, Mariafeld 114 is balance
*Ground shipping in states where allowed. Temperature control shipping in effect May 1 through Sept 15 to protect these fine wines. A small fee will be added to each shipment. You may choose 2 day or overnight air also*. Our summer solutions overnight shipping rate is the best deal!