COPLAN VINEYARDS The Chairman Red Blend, Sonoma Valley
- Almost perfect blend of 58% Merlot and 42% old vine Cabernet from organically farmed Coplan Vineyards
- Dense and concentrated from these gnarly old vines (from the 1940s) with just a hint of oak to soften tannins
- If it were a port, it would be a Ruby
WINEMAKER: Jacqueline Yoakum: Alumni of Littorai Schramsberg, Keller, Stags Leap Wine Cellars. Consulting winemaker Greggarious, Magnus and Italics.
AVA DESIGNATED: Sonoma Valley
WHAT WE TASTED: Dark, young fruits and chocolate with cedar and cigar box and a little brioche on the finish - we felt this wine is so polished, no sharp edges. Cab is the backbone giving it voluptuous texture, while Merlot gives it a peppery lift. A nice long finish shows it never leaves behind it's true essence - wine and terroir speak volumes.
WHAT WE PAIRED:
- Radicchio and Red Wine Risotto (hint: use this red blend)
- Sheeps Milk Ricotta and Truffle Crostini
- Perfect for your Thanksgiving table
PERSONALITY: The Coplan family are all about sustainability and preserving the Sonoma wine country way of life. The property and vineyard is called Coplandia, which captures the family surname and a playful sense of purist farming practices and modern farmhouse architectural aesthetic. Winemaking duties have recently been taken over by Jacqueline Yoakum, who is known for wildcrafting wines as natural as can be.
- Farmed at 1 1/2 ton per acre
- Only 75 cases made
- 40% New Oak
- 14.8% alcohol
*Ground shipping in states where allowed. Temperature control shipping in effect May 15 through Sept 15 to protect these fine wines. A small fee will be added to each shipment. You may choose 2 day or overnight air also*