TOPEL WINES Estate Syrah Noir, Mendocino
Complementary ground shipping on 3 or more bottles * USE CODE VINO
WHY WE LOVE IT:
- The winemaker's pedigree for one, having worked under Paul Hobbs and Chapoutier of the Rhone and Vinos Cobos of Mendoza
- Hermitage-like wine with smoky light pepper, as it should be
- Duncan Peak sits at 1400 feet elevation above the Russian River fog and the steep slopes only allow for hand picking and tending vines
- 100% Syrah Noir - a suitcase clone from Chapoutier
WINEMAKER: Martin Bernal-Hafner: Chapoutier, Vinos Cobos, Paul Hobbs
WHAT WE TASTED: Dark garnet color, beautiful nose, sweet mouthfeel. Should we go on? Ok. Violets, bay leaf and currant aromas with meaty, leather, red fruits and pepper mark the palate. Uber balanced with a lovely, long finish on this wildcrafted beauty.
AVA DESIGNATED: Mendocino
WHAT WE PAIRED:
- Pulled pork sandwiches with red cabbage spicy slaw
- Spiced Toffee Nut Cake with sprinkled ginger on top
- Cedar plank grilled salmon with brown sugar and paprika glaze
- Cheese plate or Morbier, Pecorino, Idiazabal
PERSONALITY: Martin spent time in Northern Rhone learning to make Syrahs and it shows in this beauty. While the pristine,160-acre heritage vineyard dates back to late 1800s only 15 acres are planted to grapevine while nature takes up the rest. Martin embodies wildcrafting wines using organic farming methods and letting nature always take its course. The frog on the label stands sentry over over one of the property’s natural springs and embodies nature’s inspiration to work the land.
- Only 100 cases made
- 14.4% Alcohol
- Aged in French oak, 24 months
- Organically farmed estate vineyard and fermented on native yeasts
*Ground shipping in states where allowed. Temperature control shipping in effect May 1 through Sept 15 to protect these fine wines. A small fee will be added to each shipment. You may choose 2 day or overnight air also*. Our summer solutions overnight shipping rate is the best deal!